Thursday, November 6, 2008

Obama Nation

I have to admit, although I really do not like McCain, I really do not like Obama even more. I was pretty surprised that majority of Americans voted him to be our next president. Not only do we have a very liberal president but we also have liberals running the house and senate! Ahhh! So at first I was pretty fearful about our future. In what direction will these secular progressives take our country? I mean when you have a liberal government like we now have, we will also have very liberal supreme court justices. I never realized how important these guys are but they are the ones who basically define what the constitution is and actually have the power to change it. Therefore, justices who are secular progressives will change our constitution to agree with their views. This is a quote given by Ezra T Benson at a BYU devotional; “…How are they going to know what the Constitution is, so they will know when it is on the brink of ruin? In many of the law schools of today you will hear that the Constitution is whatever the Supreme Court says it is. Could it be that the Supreme Court, which President McKay said is leading this nation down the road to atheism, is the agency to tell us what this divine document is (David O. McKay, Church News, 22 June 1963; Jerreld Newquist, comp., Prophets, Principles, and National Survival, pp. 187–88)? Can we learn best how to preserve it by studying what it is at the hands of some of those who are seeking to destroy it?” I do not ever really remember learning about our constitution, in school. I mean I know we learned a little bit about it but we never really learned it. I think as concerned citizens and as members of the church of Jesus Christ it is our duty to read up and learn about our constitution, so that we can be aware when it is being slowly redefined and we can appropriately fight for the tradition of the founding fathers who were inspired by God to write. (Pres Benson suggests reading a book written by Clarence Carson entitled the American Tradition). I also find comfort in the talks from our recent general conference. How inspired it truly is. There are talks on hope, joy in the journey, a return to virtues, peace with one another, pray always…. I feel that for now we will be okay, that whatever direction our country goes, if we are living righteously and know that ultimately God is in control we have no need to fear.
I have also been so impressed with how well the saints in California heeded the leaders of the church and there call to vote YES to proposition 8. It amazes me to see the outcries of the opponents (I believe over1000 protestors were standing in from of the L.A. temple). Watching the leaders of our church and members standing together to fight this and protect the constitutional amendment of marriage between a man and a women. This truly is a moral issue and one that could have devastating effects to our country had this ban been removed. As I have witnessed this, the quote by Joseph Smith comes to mind; “when the Constitution is upon the brink of ruin, this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean, and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction" (M8d 155, Bx4, Joseph Smith, Church Historian's Library).” Until this moment I never truly understood what this meant. Now I understand and now I understand what our job is as members of the Church of Jesus Christ. Now that we have secular progressives in control, we really need to be the watch dogs for the future of our constitution.
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

2 comments:

heidi nielsen said...

I'm really starting to realize that the judicial system, while upholding their own version of the constitution, will be the end of us. I'm pretty sure they will once again overturn the will of the people here in California just like they did by ignoring Prop 22 when they legalized same-sex marriage earlier this year. And I'm tired of people telling me religion doesn't belong in politics. Why is a religious person not allowed to let their morals guide their societal views? If I think homosexuality is a sin, and thus think that a society that supports it will not succeed, then of course I'm going to vote against it no matter how great of parents the gay couple next door appear to be. The debates and protests going on here in California are so frustrating and sad. It seems religion is no longer respected.

andy and cami said...

I agree that the judicial system is going to be a major factor in what happens to this country and our constitution. I think as long as we are standing up within our communities to these traditional values, we hopefully can make a positive impact in our country.